Saturday 14 April 2012

Fudge Brownies

Late Night Fudge Brownies - please, no excuses needed


It was the 3rd episode of the Real Housewives of Vancouver this week. The content is irrelevant, other than the fact that it's consistently catty, overly-indulgent and, to be honest, embarrassingly addictive. 


That's it. Embarrassing. 


You ask anyone in this city if they watch the show and you'll get three responses:


1. The High and Mighty: the obviously-not, that-show-is-so-trashy, I-can't-believe-that-you-think-I-do. 


(Oh puuuh-leeze) 


2. The Unabashed Viewer: we get it, you know someone on the show. Or, better yet, you and/or your mom is on the show. 


3. The Self-Concious Watcher: the most common reaction I have come across and it goes something like this...


"Yeah, I watch it. I, mean, I have to - it's in Vancouver! It's cool to see them in my city, you know? It's total trash, of course, and I usually never watch shows like this..." etc


So much embarrassment.... enough with the excuses! 


Just watch the show and enjoy the trash, the gossip, and have a sense of humility as you laugh at both yourself, and the people on the show. 


Live a little! 


And have a brownie. 


Yes, have a chocolate packed treat. It'll do you good. 


And most importantly - no need to make an excuse for doing so! No extra gym time later, no brownie just because you've eaten so well today. 


Just eat the damn brownie. 


Preferably while watching the Real Housewives of Vancouver, or something else which makes you feel good about your relatively functional life and refreshingly down-to-earth values. 




I got my little sister to help me make these brownies. They were incredibly easy - especially for me because I got to watch while she did all the work! QUITE convenient. 


That being said, I have never really "gotten brownies", which is ironic because they are apparently the easiest thing to make, ever. 


Add melted chocolate to dry ingredients.


Put it all in a pan.


Pan in the oven. 


Done. 


....Point made. 


That being said, we came into some challenges! We tossed on chocolate sprinkles, just because, but they burned a bit in the oven. Luckily, we could just scrape them off after. I will just have to save those for cupcakes. 




Speaking of embarrassing... disaster happened. I DROPPED the pan, right out of the oven. Look at this scrambled mess! I actually could not believe what I'd done. 


But no excuses.


It had been done.


And it was going to taste delicious no matter how it looked, I was determined.




That being said, I managed to cut a few semi-square pieces out of that mess. 





Broken to bits, but still looking yummy! 


The best part was when my sister got to taste test them - a baker's duty, of course, and she took it on honourably.


Fudge Brownie Recipe

5 ounces unsweetened chocolate
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup of sugar
3/4 teaspoon of vanilla
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Combine chocolate, butter, sugar, vanilla and salt in a sauce pan. Cook at low heat. You could very nearly leave this to do it's thing by itself until everything is melted down, but you should probably stir it a bit to make yourself feel useful. 


Remove the pan from heat and wait to cool.

Add eggs, beating in each egg individually. 

Add flour and chocolate chips (we opted for a veryyy generous amount of those, good choice) and fold them into the wet ingredients. 

Pour into a buttered and lightly floured pan (we used a 7x7, for thicker brownies) and cook at 350 F. They should take 25-30 minutes. 

Then, ideally, avoid dropping the brownies. Unless you like crumbs. Lots of them. 

Finally... devour!






No comments:

Post a Comment